Open-Faced Club Sandwich

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Sunday, November 05, 2006

The Dalles Suck and A Last-Minute Kitty

Ok so the deal with the kitty I planned to adopt was that they couldn't exactly hold her for me, but they knew I was coming Saturday, and would call me if someone else adopted her so I wouldn't have to, I dunno, say- drive all the way out there with my hopes up and not come back from a 3 hour round trip empty-handed?

So I get there at about 3pm on Saturday with Jenna and my dad. We pull in and the place is a sty. Literally. Actually I'm not positive, but it looked and smelled of pigs. Its a crappy, run-down, dark smelly old house with tons of cats running wild in every room. Scary. I walk in and say "Hey, we spoke, I'm here to pick up "Albie"." They look at me confused. One guy says, "Well we just adopted Albie out less than 2 hours ago." I said, "Then why on earth didn't you call me? We drove from Portland." They reply "we thought that was you". I say "Did you not ask them for their name?!?!" To which I got nothing but "oh, I'm so sorry" and blah-de-blah.

Now at this point I'm very angry. A) I'm not getting my kitty that I've been obsessing about for weeks. B) I just drove all the way out to the fucking Dalles. C) They lied to me. D) They tried to cover it up with more lies. E) I'm standing in the scariest, stinkiest cat-house in the world.
So, to make another sale, they start bringing other cats to me. Cats I don't want to see. Telling me they're also Maine Coons (they're very obviously not, by the way).
I stare off at a wall for a second contemplating exploding at them. I breathe. In the middle of one of the old hags asking me a question about a scrawny looking cat she's holding, I interrupt her, "I'm going to be going now". And walk away. My dad and Jenna follow without asking questions. They're smart.

But on the way home we stop at the Oregon Humane Society and fate decides to stop raining feces down upon me. I see a pile of Maine Coon kittens and a grab a girl, "Giada" and stake my claim. Good thing too, all her siblings were adopted within a half hour of me getting there.

SO- I have my Minerva. She's 10 weeks old (tiny!!!) and brown/gray, with a white belly and white eyeliner. She loves to play in water and purr on mine and James' laps. She's perfect.

And the Dalles will forever = Hell to me.

p.s. I'll post some pictures as soon as I can, but it might be a week or so. She looks a lot like the other girl, but smaller and even sweeter.

3 Comments:

Blogger Sarah said...

Ooh, I'm so happy for you. The Dalles is sucky. I have been through there a few times and decided that I will never live there. I think it's only one notch up in my book from anywhere in Wyoming.

9:47 PM  
Blogger froelica said...

Ah, yes. I am well aware of your famous hate of Wyoming. Can't say I don't blame you....

I have so much unpacking still to do! And cleaning! What with me and James being sick and now a cute kitten. Never gettin' done, I tells ya.

9:50 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

Oh congrats Shley of A.... a cute little kitten for you to love and cuddle!!! Sorry about the Dalles incident! I've never been but from the stories I've heard it sounds a bit like Independence - in which I lived for 2 years.... oh nothing like white trash to make you smile or cry or laugh.... which ever they make you do!
Oh and I'm sorry you guys are still sick.... I just came down with something nasty myself.... but no rest for the mommy of 2 babes.... :)

1:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home